MPD, EMS respond to tragic call on Wednesday

The community is reeling following a tragedy involving a baby found deceased in a hot vehicle Wednesday afternoon. 

The Morgantown Police Department released a statement regarding the incident on Thursday morning. 

“On Wednesday, May 22 at approximately 3:05 p.m., Morgantown Police Officers responded to 3610 Collins Ferry Rd. in Morgantown regarding a reported cardiac arrest,” the release states. 

“Upon arrival at the scene officers observed EMS personnel in the parking lot near a parked SUV. After approaching the vehicle, officers observed a young child seated in a rear facing child seat in the back seat of the vehicle.” 

Medical personnel with Monongalia EMS were already on scene and informed officers the child was deceased. 

According to the statement, The Morgantown Police Department Detectives Division, as well as the State Medical Examiners were notified of the incident and responded to the scene.  

Details surrounding the circumstances of the incident have not been released, however MPD said no charges have been filed at this time and information is still being gathered. 

First responder agencies acknowledged the devastation felt by the family and friends of the child. 

“The department wishes to express their sincere condolences to the family and friends that have been directly impacted by this tragic loss as well as recognizing the devastating impact such a loss is to the community,” Morgantown Police Department Chief Eric Powell said.  

“This is a deeply traumatic event for the family,” Monongalia EMS Director Forest Weyen said. 

Although first responders are trained to witness and respond to unimaginable situations, Weyen said there are certain calls that can impact even the most stoic among them – and this is one of those calls. 

In response, Mon EMS has brought in support resources for first responders who were part of the response, including dispatchers, police, fire and EMS. 

“We have to make sure we are supporting our folks when they are dealing with these super tragic calls,” Weyen said.  

The case is still currently under investigation by both MPD and the State Medical Examiners office. No other details had been released as of 1 p.m. Thursday afternoon.